Aug 27, 2012
What’s new this year? Fireworks won’t be the only bright lights shining along the Tennessee River this year at Boomsday! Spectators will witness the lighting of the historic JFG sign during the Boomsday festivities. One lucky person will flip the switch on the iconic sign and the lights will shine brightly once again from its location along the South Knoxville waterfront.
Another new addition is the live entertainment taking place at the Q93.1 Performance Stage on the East end of Neyland Drive. Musical performances include Ergo We Play, Homer Hart, and Jaida Dryer.
Where to view the fireworks? There are many options for viewing the fireworks display by land and boat. Some popular viewing areas include:
• Neyland Drive – One of the favorite spots to watch Boomsday is on Neyland Drive. Over 400,000 people visit Neyland Drive to experience the fun and entertainment throughout the day. Being front row and in the middle of it all, Boomsday attendees love the thrill and excitement as the fireworks begin.
• Neyland Stadium Parking Garage (G10) – Let the tailgating begin. Families and friends from across East Tennessee arrive early to reserve their parking space and spot for Boomsday.
• Boating on the Tennessee River - One of the top recommendations many Boomsday fans had was watching Boomsday from the Tennessee River. Boating access is open to the public, and all boats must be in place by 9 p.m. For more information about Boating at Boomsday, please visit www.boomsday.org.
• Home – Many East Tennesseans enjoy coming to the Boomsday Festival early, and then returning home to enjoy the fireworks on television. WBIR-TV/Channel 10 will air its live “2012 Boomsday Festival” special from 9 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Sunday, September 2 and on Monday evening, September 3 on 10News2. Listen to Star 102.1 radio for the soundtrack simulcast, as well as updates throughout the day.
• Volunteer Princess – Many Boomsday attendees celebrate aboard the Volunteer Princess. Guests enjoy hors d'oeuvres followed by a four course gourmet dinner, a three-hour cruise down the Tennessee River, live entertainment, and a front row seat of the fireworks. The Volunteer Princess will board at 5:30 p.m. and the cost of the cruise is $134.95 per person. For more details call (865) 541-4556.
• Ruth’s Chris Steak House – Boomsday Fireworks & Dinner – Celebrate Labor Day weekend with specials from Ruth’s Chris Steak House. Specials include a $42.95 three course dinner and a great view of the fireworks. For reservations please call (865) 546-4696.
• Volunteer Landing – One of Boomsday’s favorite locations, Volunteer Landing offers attendees a spectacular view on the water. Also, more room is available this year at Volunteer Landing. Bring your blanket and enjoy an evening on the water.
• Calhoun’s on the River – Enjoy BBQ, ribs and fireworks on the River. Calhoun’s is a great spot to grab dinner and watch the fireworks from the deck. Call (865) 673-3355 for call ahead seating.
• Mabry-Hazen House – Bluegrass and Barbecue Event - On a cool hilltop setting, guests will enjoy a great view of Knoxville’s premiere fireworks show, good food and live music. Tours of the historic home will begin at 6 pm, and dinner will be served at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $50 per adult and children 12 and under are free when accompanied by a ticket holder. Tickets are limited to 200 adults to ensure a quality event. Call (865) 522-8661. Event is sold out.
• Star of Knoxville Riverboat - The Star of Knoxville Riverboat will have excellent seats for the Boomsday celebration. After a short cruise and delicious BBQ dinner, the Star will dock alongside a barge in the middle of the river where everyone will be able to see the fireworks up close. Cruise departs at 7:00 p.m. Seats start at $68.95. For more information call (865) 525-7827.
• NavCal River Rides – Navcal River Rides will offer a Boomsday fireworks viewing cruise where guests can enjoy the show from up close. Board the boat at 7:30 p.m. and cruise down the river before the fireworks begin at 9:30 p.m. For more details, call (865) 765 – 3407.
For more information about the 25th Anniversary Boomsday Festival, call (865) 342-9192 or visit www.boomsday.org.